WATER POLICY EXPERT
Project Title: “Participatory Utilization and Resource Efficiency of Water (PURE-Water) Activity”, Funded by USAID
Contract type: Service Agreement
Starting Date: 15 July 2017
Duration:July 15 – March 15, 2017 (55 days)
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide technical assistance (TA) in oversight of policy watchdog and performance monitoring activities of grantee and partner CSOs, as well as active water groups.
• Provide TA and support to national advocacy networks and coalitions for effective coordination and development, campaign planning and implementation.
• Contribute to the development of the informal water sector public advocacy network and the formal public advisory councils.
• Contribute to development and improvement of national and local level policy regulations and issues related to civil society enabling legislation and policies.
• Provide TA in developing advocacy modules and educational materials and providing training, coaching and mentoring to local advocacy groups and partner organizations.
• Support the project team on shaping policy advocacy agenda and strategy, including advising project team on the appropriate outlets and timely dissemination of advocacy and communication materials to target audiences.
• Formulate action plans for specific initiatives that would generate stakeholders’ participation, aiming at building relevant platforms and channels for their voices to be heard and for policy influencing.
• Manage activities aimed at developing mechanisms and disseminating information for effective citizen participation in policy processes.
• Provide TA in working with government agencies, business community, media and other stakeholders to create effective links with civil society organizations and networks.
• Facilitate network coordination, development and capacity building activities.
• Provide TA on Virtual Platform design, giving all visitors direct access to information that will help them to be better informed and better prepared to follow and participate in the decision-making process, to enjoy their rights and to play their roles as a citizen to the full.
• Perform other duties per project management request.
Qualifications and Experience
• University degree in development, political/social science, environmental management or other relevant discipline.
• At least 5 years of professional experience, preferably in water sector.
• Experience in campaign planning and implementation on national or local issues.
• Strong familiarity with national and local government systems and functions.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience and diplomacy.
• Must be capable of working both individually and as a part of the team.
• Willingness to travel nationally.
• Excellent communication skills: writing, speaking and listening.
• High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
• Fluency in written and spoken English, Armenian and Russian.
• Computer skills, including experience using Microsoft Word, Excel and e-mail.
• Deliverables on technical assistance reports.
• The advocacy training modules and educational materials.
• Policy advocacy agenda and strategy.
• Recommendations on development of the advocacy toolkits.
• Submission of the reports of field trips, active groups and community meetings.
• Submission of other technical reports.
Background of the project:
PURE Water is designed to contribute to the creation of an enabling policy and regulatory framework, strengthening and institutionalizing public participation and raising awareness for the improvement of water resource management in the Ararat valley. The Activity will work with all stakeholders affected by the sector, including residents of the Ararat and Armavir Marzes, local governments, community active groups, etc.
The Objective of the Activity is to increase water productivity, efficiency, and quality, as well as foster behavioural change to reduce the rate of groundwater extraction in the Ararat Valley. This Objective will be achieved through:
1) policy dialogue for improvement of regulatory framework,
2) intense participation in and supervision of water resource management,
3) increased public awareness and behavioural change and
4) mall-scale water infrastructure pilots to complement local water needs identified and implemented.
Scope of work
The Water Policy Expert is responsible for the overall coordination of all advocacy and legal capacity building and monitoring tasks. The expert will ensure the technical capacity for water police activities within the project, which will foster broad participation and access to knowledge and will ensure that all stakeholders, and particularly the residents of target communities, participate in the process of shaping policy and are empowered to monitor the implementation of policy decisions.
The role of the Water Policy expert is to support the oversight function of civil society watchdog organizations, supporting the organization and implementation of advocacy campaigns and building the advocacy capacity of the activity groups (CWGs, WPAN, PACs, etc.) and CSOs. The Water Police expert will work in close cooperation with the PURE Water project management team and all consortium members’ staff.